Last Updated on April 23, 2022 by Guillermina
Are aloe vera plants in stores ideal for planting?
If you want to start planting succulents like aloe vera, echeveria, or the popular money tree, the best source could be your friend’s garden. If your friend is growing succulents and somehow, you’re envious of the beautiful blooms, it is time you have your own garden.
On the bright side, aloe vera plants are not very hard to grow. Even if you only have the rhizomes, you can still grow aloe vera given the right condition. However, if you don’t have free sources of plants, you may have no other option but to buy from stores.
There are many things you need to consider when buying plants from a store. Today on the blog, we will tackle different ways to successfully buy aloe vera from plant shops.
Buying Local – A Great Way To Begin
The most ideal place to source your plant is a local store. Whenever you’re free, you can drop by some great shops downtown and personally see succulents. This helps you give the first perspective and check the plant physically before buying it.
Always Research About Succulents
A tip that never grows old is to know the variety of aloe vera you’re getting. There are at least 250 species of aloe vera. Before going to the store, make sure you already know what you’re buying. This prevents you from taken advantage of people
Get the Perfect Size
Aloe vera plants arrive in a wide assortment of sizes and with that variety. You will likewise get varied costs and you’ll discover a few sizes are more straightforward to really focus on.
Bigger plants are less flighty. They don’t dry out as fast, so they don’t require as incessant watering. The bigger the pot, the more straightforward (by and large) it will be to keep up with your plant. Aloe in a gallon estimated pot will be lower support than a 6-inch pot, which will be lower upkeep than a 4-inch pot, etc.
A well-established aloe plant in a bigger pot will cost more, but if you’re not very confident about starting from a baby plant, this is your best option.
Read more about Is Angel Wing Begonia Poisonous To Pets?
Pick the Healthiest Plant
This one might appear glaringly evident yet… when you purchase at a local plant store, pick the healthiest plant. The following are some signs that a plant is healthy.
- Vibrant colors
- Green leaves
- No sign of burnt, yellowing, or fallen leaves
- Upright leaves
- Moist soil
- Sturdy when touched
Carry a Box with You
Succulent plants are difficult to move. Since the dirt is exceptionally dry, it can without much of a stretch spill when the street gets excessively unpleasant or when you drive excessively quick. Indeed, in any event, when it is planted in a pot.
What you can do is bring a case where the pot can fit in pleasantly and snuggly. This will keep the dirt from gushing out as an afterthought. Try not to consider the dirt simply soil on the grounds that the dirt utilized in delicious plants is a seriously extraordinary combination. You might not have any desire to make a rush to the shop again to get a pack of soil since everything spilled returning.
Pros of Buying Aloe Vera Online
If aloe vera plants are not available in your local store, your last resort is to buy them online. The following are the pros and cons of buying plants online.
- It doesn’t require people to step foot outside the home. You can order succulents from your smartphone or computer and have them delivered right to your doorstep. Shipment can be fast for trusted plant sellers. There are online stores that offer same-day delivery, which is even better.
- You can well-established aloe vera plants, which means you don’t have to hustle yourself into growing them. You get it alive and thriving already.
- There are plenty of options when it comes to online shopping. Other than aloe vera plants, you can find more succulent varieties that you can pair with them.
- Packages often come with free instructions, fertilizers, accessories, pots, and other items that will help you grow your plants.
- Discount coupons can help you save time and money when buying plants. You just have to look for trusted online sellers that are currently on promotions.
Disadvantages of Buying Aloe Vera Online
- You’re not 100% sure that the plant is completely healthy. Some pictures can be quite deceiving than the real plant. The key is to look at feedback from previous customers. Look for red flags and negative comments. Don’t be afraid to ask previous customers about their experience with the store.
- Delays in shipment are inventible. Even if the seller ships it on time, the courier may experience delays in case there are calamities or surges in order fulfillments.
- When a shipment is delayed, your aloe vera plant may not be able to withstand the humidity and temperature in the warehouse. The moment it arrives in your home, it has already dried and withered.
- Not all online sellers can be trusted. You have to find a trustworthy shopping platform and plant supplier.
- You may be asked to pay upfront. But what if the plant you’re ordering isn’t delivered? Scenarios like this are common in online shopping and this experience could be emotionally and financially painful.
Why is the aloe vera plant wrapped in plastic in the stores?
Aloe plants are wrapped in plastic to protect their leaves from dust or premature withering. Sometimes, the temperature inside the store is too cold for them.
How much does an aloe vera plant cost?
Aloe vera plants normally cost around $10 to $20 depending on the size and variety. Established plants could cost more than $25 and up, and should come with a large planter.
Can you grow aloe vera from store-bought leaves?
Unfortunately, no. You would rather be growing aloe vera from rhizomes. Rhizomes are crop-like root structures in aloe vera. It is buried deep underground and is responsible for sucking up water and other nutrients. You may not grow aloe from their leaves but if you plant the rhizomes, you will have a 95% chance of developing aloe vera leaves.
Where can you find aloe vera plants naturally?
Aloe vera is native to the Southern part of the United States and mostly in Asian countries with tropical weather. Aloe vera plants can grow perfectly in areas with dry and sunny weather days.