Are Mint Plants Safe For Dogs?

Last Updated on May 15, 2022 by Guillermina

Are mint plants safe for dogs? Now, your dog has dreaded bad smelling and you’re wondering whether you can let him eat a bit of mint to take the edge off. Or maybe, you noticed that your dog has been giving himself some mint treats.

Whether your accidentally or purposely taken mint, let’s take a look at whether or not dogs can eat mint.

What Is Mint Plant?

Mint is a type of herb that you can easily grow in your outdoor or indoor garden. Members of the mint family obstinate herbs that can grow in hardiness zones 3-10. Depending on the species, your mint may not look the same.

Wild mint is a popular herb that can grow in USDA zones 4-9. This type of mint along with others, such as peppermint and spearmint is commonly used as a food flavoring. A distinct characteristic of the mint plant is the fact that it can grow fast and vast. You can even take some cuttings and when planted, they can stabilize in a couple of days.

But, are mint plants safe for dogs? Since the are various types of mints you should not be too complacent about feeding them with mint herbs. While some mints are safe for dog feeding, others can be as poisonous as succulents.

 Are dogs attracted to mint plants?

Mint As Essential Oil For Dogs

Natural oils and aromatherapy have become progressively well known throughout the years A considerable amount of these oils are protected and helpful to use on canines.

Essential oils have been proven to have healing effects on dogs but before you use any essential oil on your dog, you need to do your research first. Applying mint fouls on dogs’ skin can cause an allergic reaction to them. They may develop symptoms of poisoning due to factors like the breed of dog or the kind of mint you are using. Severe poisoning can even cause liver failure.

Wash all the oil off your dog’s skin and get him to the vet right away. If medicated early enough, his prognosis of recovery is good. Although humans can eat mint the majority of us like to add a mint leaf to our coffee or tea – but the story is different with dogs.

Mint As Toothpaste For Dogs

If you’re a hippie, you had probably invented your toothpaste using baking soda and mint. Mint has a mental fragrance that is not only good for home use. Big industries and manufacturers have made it a top ingredient for mouth wash and toothpaste.

The good side is, that you can make your toothpaste made of mint. The bad side is that you can only use it for yourself. If you’re thinking of using the same invention for your dog to save money on buying expensive dog toothpaste or simply for wanting to remove the dreadful smell on your dog’s mouth, then you should reconsider it.

In general, mint leaves are not poisonous to dogs. But you have to know that you’re using the right variety of mint leaves before putting them in your dog’s mouth.

 Is mint plant poisonous to dogs?

Pennyroyal Mint – Poisonous To Dogs

Pennyroyal, M. pulegium, has little oval heartless leaves and blossoms in axillary whorls; it is striking for its crawling propensity and impactful scent. We currently know that, whether it’s applied to the skin or ingested, pennyroyal oil is harmful to felines and canines.

The oil comes from two types of pennyroyal plants, which are in the mint family. Whenever pennyroyal oil is applied to the pet’s skin, dermatitis can happen. A more genuine incidental effect is liver damage.

Symptoms Of Mint Poisoning in Dogs

Dogs can show obvious signs of poisoning when they take in something that goes against their gut, such as the following:

  • Lethargy – Your dog becomes low in energy and tends to sleep a lot. You call him for a snack or meal but he may seem not to like his ordinary self. 
  • Vomiting – Your dog may vomit yellowish or whiting foam, sometimes accompanied by saliva. The vomiting can happen many times in a day. 
  • Diarrhea – You would notice your dog is constantly moving out loose stools, sometimes with blood, due to irritation in the intestine.

Note that animals can have very sensitive skin and intestines. Avoid feeding your dog anything, even if it is safe for you if you don’t want to cause your dog harm. 

 What happens if my dog eats a mint?


Is mint plant poisonous to dogs?

The general answer is no. Peppermint or spearmint, which is common in the United States and is used in many cases, as food flavor enhancers are not at all poisonous. But you should be careful with the Pennyroyal mint. This mint is not often seen in many gardens but a small amount of its oil called “pulegone” is used in many personal care products to add healing elements to it. Regardless, studies have found that the oil itself can cause harm to both humans and animals. For animals, its oil can result in liver harm. It can be more harmful when used as a flea repellent in dogs or when the latter has accidentally eaten it.

Are dogs attracted to mint plants?

No. Dogs have no favoritism for mint plants but occasionally, they may nibble on some leaves in an attempt to self-medicate. Dogs with upset stomachs believe that eating some leaves with a distinct smell can alleviate the pain.

Why does my dog eat mint leaves?

Your dog has eaten the mint leaves probably because of the enticing smell. Dried mint is ok for canines to eat as well, however, the amounts should be kept a lot more modest to prevent stomach upset. If you have any desire to utilize mint to enhance some custom-made pup treats or popsicles, ensure you just utilize a leaf or two of a new mint.

What happens if my dog eats a mint?

If your dog has eaten mint, there usually isn’t any problem unless your dog has eaten poisonous mint. To avoid harm, be careful about planting mint in areas where dogs can reach them.

Leave a Comment