Is Sansevieria Poisonous to Cats?

Last Updated on January 15, 2022 by Marco C.

Is sansevieria poisonous to cats?  Sansevieria trifecta is a popular house and office plant. Many believe it is a “good luck” plant but actually, it helps filter the air in your room. It is a great plant to place in any dull corner.

Even so, you should be careful when you have pets. The sansevieria can cause allergic reactions when ingested by pets, it typically causes an allergic reaction when ingested. Today on the blog, we will talk about the side effects of snake plants on pets, when they happen to ingest its leaves.

Is Sansevieria Poisonous To Cats Of Any Breed?

The quick answer is yes. Unfortunately, this beauty can cause distress on cats regardless of any breed. Although cats seldom attack snake plants, they may sometimes feed on plants in an attempt to remedy a sickness. Sometimes, dogs and cats would even eat grass when their stomach is upset.

The snake plant contains toxic saponins that are capable of causing illness in a cat. The plant uses this as a defense mechanism again insects and fungi that try to eat their leaves. The effect on cats is generally but too much intoxication may lead to severe effects.

The most severe allergic reaction is the swelling of oral and esophageal tissues, which can sometimes block the air passage of animals.

  • Drooling
  • Decreased appetite
  • Lethargy or depression
  • Vomiting/ Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Depression
  • Swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth

Are snake plants toxic to cats? A quick answer is yes. If you have snake plants indoors, make sure you place them away from your pet’s territory.  Especially if you have young cats and dogs, which can become very playful, you might need to elevate your snake plant’s position.

Saponin In Sansevieria Poisonous To Cats

Saponin is a fluid contained in snake plants that help keep insects away. But while it is very effective in protecting sansevieria from the creatures, they are not good for your pet dogs and cats.

The compound saponin is toxic for cats when ingested. This juice can immediately cause stomach upset and skin irritation. Also known as skin dermatitis in cats, this skin irritation can cause furs to fall.

Poisoning happens upon chewing or consuming any part of the snake plant.  When taken in excessive amounts, it could lead to organ failure that might lead to death.

Are Snake Plants Toxic To Dogs?

Sansevieria are poisonous to both dogs and cats. If your pet cat starts showing signs of poisoning or allergic reaction, take it right away to the veterinarian. In any case, the following are first aid you can give to your pet.

Are Snake Plants Toxic To Dogs

Read more about: Are Succulents Toxic To Dogs: Here’s The Truth

  • Remove the plant material. Try to check your pet’s mouth and remove any bits of leaves in the oral cavity.
  • Make certain that it is snake plants that caused poisoning to your cats. It is possible that your cat could have ingested something else.
  • Contact your veterinarian right away. If your cat has become lethargic and weak. Or if see signs of drooling and nausea, do not wait for days and try to self-medicate.
  • While waiting for the vet, try to find out the species name of the snake plants that your cat has eaten. If your vet has a pet service, you can wait for the pet ambulance. Otherwise, you need to take your cat to the clinic right away. Don’t forget to cut a leaf sample to take with you to the vet.
  • Do not induce vomit unless your vet says to do so. Your vet can also apply “emesis” to empty the contents of the stomach and prevent further digestion of toxins.
  • During the period of illness, your vet will provide supportive care. There is no direct medication for poisoning so what vets will do is counter the effects of intoxication. For example, if your car has become dehydrated from excessive vomiting and diarrhea, the vet will administer medicines to help alleviate the symptoms.
  • Some cats may need assisted feeding with a soft and sloppy diet. Because of stomach upset, poisoned cats wouldn’t have a great appetite.
  • The medication can take around 1 to 2 weeks depending on how fast your cat can recover.

List Of Sansevieria Poisonous To Cats

Why are sansevieria poisonous to cats? While the plants are attractive and perfect for indoor and outdoor settings, they are quite deceiving for our furry friends. If you have pets at home, the following are some other plants that you may need to avoid.


With its inebriating scent and groups of brilliant buds and reflexive leaves, Oleander is famous inside and out. But get ready for the buzzkill – while this plant is pretty attractive and darling, all aspects of it are harmful. Ingesting it can cause a scope of manifestations, from discombobulation to vomiting, and may even prompt demise, particularly on account of pets and little youngsters.

Peace Lily

The Peace Lily, otherwise called the Mauna Loa plant, is a famous gift since it needs almost no upkeep and blossoms almost constant. With a little water and a little daylight, the harmony lily can endure for eternity.

Sago Palm

While people may possibly experience some distress assuming they ingest it, the plant is amazingly hazardous to canines. (Truth be told, sago palm harming is the main justification for calls to Animal Poison Control in South Carolina.) If your canine is the inquisitive kind, it very well may merit getting this plant out of the house. So long, Sago!

ZZ Plant

ZZ plants develop rapidly, aren’t fussy with regards to what sort of light they get, and are for the most part simple to really focus on, settling on them a most loved decision for indoor plant life. They’re amazingly normal and sold at basically every nursery place in the country.

Weeping Fig

The sap that the weeping fig produces is exceptionally poisonous. Contact with the sap can prompt irritation in the eyes, wheezing, hacking, and skin aggravations. The weeping fig is harmful to pets, as well—, particularly parakeets and felines. Assuming any of the plants is ingested, they’re probably going to encounter bothering of the eyes and skin.

Read more about: 5 Poisonous Succulents To Avoid

Leave a Comment