Is String Of Pearls Plant Poisonous To Humans?

Last Updated on December 10, 2021 by

 Is the string of pearls plant poisonous? For sure many of you have a string of pearls planted in your garden. This is one of the most common succulents that never fade out of style in any planter’s collection. This is because the string of pearls plant is very easy to grow. 

It is an attractive succulent and very interesting succulent. Many planters use it as a hanging plant because of its long and stringy stalks that are adorned with pearl-like beads. However, like many other succulents, the string of pearls may not be good for some animals and small children. 

As they say, succulents are only good for the eyes but not for the appetite.  A string of pearls is listed as one of the toxic plants listed for humans and many pets. 

What Is String Of Pearls Plants?

A string of pearls is also known scientifically as Senecio rowleyanus. Some people call it a string of beads. It is very easy to grow and most will grow out of neglect. You can grow a string of pearls outdoors or you can grow them indoors.

The best way to grow them is to hang them in your garden, porch, or anywhere it fits in your home. The following are other types of string of pearls that you should be careful of:

  • Bead plant
  • Curio rowleyanus
  • Green peas
  • Irish beads
  • Kleinia rowleyana
  • Necklace plant
  • Rosary pearls
  • Rosary vine
  • String o’ pearls
  • String of pearls
  • String of marbles
  • String of peas

The String Of Pearls Toxic: Symptoms Of Poisoning

The string of pearls has toxicity classes 2 & 4, which means that it is slightly toxic. 

Dogs or humans must not ingest its leaves, most especially the sap. 

Plants categorized at Class 4 level toxicity will cause rashes and other skin aggravation when contact is made with the plant’s sap. Pets and individuals who have eaten String of Pearls might display indications, for example, 

  • Vomiting 
  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea
  • Loose Bowels

Furthermore, ingestion might cause skin aggravation around and in the mouth. Look for medical assistance immediately for individuals or pets who might have ingested this plant 

Is A String Of Pearls Plant Poisonous? Tips For Protection

Assuming you have a String of Pearls in your home or nursery, protect your pets and kids by setting them outside. Give close consideration to the plant and keep its ringlets managed to diminish enticement. 

Make sure to decrease skin contact and clean up in the wake of pruning, repotting, or in any case taking care of this plant. 

Pick a more secure other option. Assuming you are simply thinking about buying String of Pearls, you might need to consider comparable, non-harmful succulents all things being equal. 

One good example is Sedum morganianum, otherwise called Burros Tail. This plant has similar requirements and growth but it is not toxic.

The String Of Pearls Plant Poisonous: Treatment & Medication

Treatment will depend on how much string of pearls your dog has eaten and what the symptoms are. At the first sign of poisoning, you should bring your pet immediately to the vet. 

The symptoms can aggravate quickly when not given immediate medical attention.

According to a study, the use of activated charcoal may help alleviate the symptoms of poisoning if it has only been three hours since the ingestion. If you are not sure how long your pet has ingested the succulent, it is better to be safe than sorry. Bring your beloved pet to the vet right away.

The event will test the electrolyte level and PCV. Depending on the results, your dog will be placed in intravenous fluids. It helps flush toxins from your pet’s body and rehydrates their system. The intravenous therapy will help treat gastrointestinal upset and combat nausea.

Your pet will also be monitored carefully. If the poisoning is severe, your pet will have to stay at the clinic longer.

 string of pearls toxic

Is My String Of Pearls Toxic? What Happens To My Pet After Treatment?

In case your canine is treated within 18 hours and there have been no side effects, the prognosis is good. Assuming that you have any various forms of feedback, call your veterinarian. To keep this from happening again, it is ideal to place your string of pearls somewhere unreachable by pets and kids.

Assuming you have a canine who likes to bite or eat foliage, plant canine-safe grasses in a space of the yard. Work to prepare your pet that this region is his, and don’t allow him to explore different areas of your nursery.

Keeping Kids Safe From String of Pearls Poisoning

If you have kids in the house, you should be extra careful with your plants. These plants may look extremely cute but not for your kids.

Your kids may think of them as toys and eventually pick their beads, and place them inside their mouths. Hence, you need to keep them hung up.

In any case, there are many other safe options. The burro’s tail succulents (Sedum morganianum) are a great alternative. It has shimmering pale blue-green, stout elliptical leaves that hang along a thick stem. This simple to-develop, low watering plant pours out of its compartment or fills in as a ground cover.

 It loves direct sun inside and full sun to half shade outside. It favors temperatures north of 45 degrees Fahrenheit and does best when outside in USDA zones 10 through 12.

 Is String Of Pearls Poisonous To Kids Above 12 Years old? 

The string of pearls does not choose any age. We only said it is harmful to kids because they are more prone to eating anything that could be harmful.

Even so, succulents are still harmful to kids above 12 years old. In this case, we have prepared some tips to keep your family safe from poisoning while having this plant around. Don’t get us wrong though. The string of pearls are such lovely plants and they don’t cause any harm unless ingested.

Taking guidance from the ASPCA on feline sealing your home can assist with shielding different pets and your youngsters from poisonous plants.

Keep your string of pearls away from your kids and pets. It is best to keep them hanging on your balcony, or somewhere high.

Have a dedicated garden for your succulents. You can still decorate and collect all your favorite succulents. As long as you have a dedicated place for them, you will just do fine.

Locate house plants on top of high windowsills and tall, unavailable furniture like an armoire. Hang falling plants high from the roof and trim them before they develop adequately low to reach.

Next, learn all about Pruning Succulents: When To Cut Back Sedum.

Leave a Comment